In 1986, six state league-sponsored risk pools designed a member-owned captive reinsurance organization to meet turbulent market challenges. NLC Mutual Insurance Company (NLC Mutual) was founded to provide a stable reinsurance answer for public entities with the assistance of the National League of Cities (NLC).
Today, NLC Mutual is a dynamic pool of pools, a member-powered collaborative community comprised of 29 state league-sponsored risk pools. Through Board representation every member can influence the direction of the organization to ensure our common mission.
SOAR has interacted with my Leadership Team and separately with my full team. They is a focused, engaging, and prepared speakers. They helped encourage dialogue and moved us forward to look at short- and long-term objectives, our Guiding Principles, and what type of team we are, to name a few. They also worked with me individually on my leadership style. The feedback from my team was very positive. I highly recommend SOAR’s programs to develop yourself as a leader and improve engagement with your senior team and your organization.
Mali is an excellent facilitator for executive and staff retreats. She quickly understands unique business challenges and helps develops
strategies to address them. Mali also has a strong but inviting presence in work meetings that helps keep everyone attentive and
engaged. Our organization has worked with Mali for a variety of specific sessions and we have utilized her recommended tactics to
help lead a major internal initiative to success. Specifically, we were going through a transformational technology project that required
collaboration from a large team comprised of a variety of skills and behavioral characteristics. Through her recommended approach of
recognizing and embracing the behavioral norms amongst team members and the encouragement of flexing outside of preferred
behaviors, it really helped keep our project moving beyond what could have been significant roadblocks. Our team not only gleaned
new information but also applied these concepts within our work which has made us a more cohesive and effective team.
- Clearly defined strategic objectives for the next 12-24 months
- Improved team communication
- Better self-awareness and team awareness of motivation and drivers around behaviors – increased team cohesion and collaboration
SOAR Services Used
- Strategic Mapping session with 7 top executives to validate and create consensus around new vision, mission, core values and strategic priorities
- All-hands, 1/2 day retreat to discover team strengths and potential caution areas utilizing behavioral insights.
- Ongoing quarterly strategy sessions with top executives to bring best practices around People & Culture strategies and initiatives.